Blogging From All Over The World

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Asia, here I come

Welcome to the first post of my blog. As most of you readers (i.e. friends) already know, I'm about to embark on a 6 month journey through Asia, primarily in Sri Lanka, with stops in Singapore, India, and hopefully many other countries.

The idea of such a trip across the world has been festering in my head for years now. I have been restless for some time now, living in the same town in which I grew up. I have many great friends here in Reston, VA but I've been struggling and battling with the urge inside me to get out of Northern Virginia and experience something new. I've talked about moving to Chicago, Austin, Charlotte, and San Francisco, to the point where I've all but arranged a transfer within Accenture to one of these offices. But ultimately I stuck around here, as the right opportunity for me simply never came up.

Enter Accenture Development Partnerships. As part of Accenture's effort at corporate citizenship, the firm developed a non-profit "wing" in which we take on consulting work in developing countries and non-profit organizations and provide economic, technology, and management consulting services at no profit to Accenture. Accenture does its part by reducing the cost to the client by cutting out margins, reducing overhead, and requiring the employee (that would be me) to take a 50% paycut while on assignment. So over the next 6 months, I hope to have an experience of a lifetime, even without the discrectionary income!

I actually applied and was accepted to the ADP scheduling pool over a year ago, and beginning the middle of 2005 I began the process to actually get staffed on a project overseas. I attended core ADP training in December, and after then I was sold on the prospect of working on a project overeas. In addition, my lovely girlfriend Nima as well as my rockin' little sister Anjali are both currently in Singapore for work and school, so I can't deny there was an addition incentive to get me over to that part of the world.

After months of looking for a role within Accenture (both ADP and regular), ADP came through with a potential project with a non-profit that works closely with the Government of Sri Lanka to advance technology services both within the government and to its citizens. The role is a perfect fit for me as it involved strategic planning for a government portal, which is right up my alley in terms of experience. I expressed interest to the ADP management team and we're in the very final stages of making this project a reality. I've been slated to be a member of the team. The project, based in Colombo, is scheduled to go from late February through June.

I'm all set for my journey, as I'll be taking of from DC, connecting through New York, hopping on an 18 hour direct flight to Singapore, and spending a week with Nima and Anjali before reporting to Sri Lanka for work.

I set up this blog as a place for me to share my experiences, thoughts, and photos with my friends and family around the world. Check in often (subscribe to the ATOM feed in Firefox) to share my experience, and remember that comments and emails are much appreciated. I look forward to being in touch with all and I hope you enjoy the blog!

9 Comments:

  • Sawt,

    You rock. I am absolutely thrilled for you. Have a marvelous time and thanks so much for setting this up so we can all come along with you.

    Love & hugs,

    Jenn (and Mike too)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/18/2006 01:39:00 PM  

  • Very cool, man! I know the real reason you are going abroad is to get over the fact that Dat Nguyen will be retiring. :-(

    Have fun over there...I'll keep you posted on Hoya Hoops and the other Washington sports. I'm sure you'll miss your boy, Buckhantz. "How do you like that?" JunkBallaz for life!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/19/2006 09:30:00 PM  

  • Feb 20, 2006 (10:45 AM Indian time)

    Satyan,

    ALL THE VERY BEST !!

    I am happy that you are getting this opportunity to do what you want... not everyone gets to do what they want to

    This will be a great experience for you... and its good that you are doing this before you have to settle down in family routine !!

    I will keep visiting this site and hope to keep in touch with you

    Look forward to seeing you soon

    Love
    Pankaj

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/20/2006 12:18:00 AM  

  • Satyan,

    I am so happy the Accenture/Sri Lanka Trip finally worked out for you in the end - it is an awesome opportunity and experience that you're taking advantage of at just the right time! We'll miss you at home, but don't worry I'll ease mom and dad into having you gone (I know, easier said than done). We'll see you in India before the wedding - have a safe and happy journey!

    Lots of Love, Ami

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/20/2006 09:48:00 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/20/2006 10:06:00 PM  

  • Dear Satayn Bhaiya,
    It's an amazing oppurtunity to be able to tour Asia, and get paid doing it!! :) It's been my childhood dream as well, to tour the world before I settled down....since it didn't happen for me, I'm going to live vicariously through you. You are a free spirit, and I'm sure you'll make the most of it. I'm really happy for you, and looking forward to seeing you when u're back.
    Appu.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/21/2006 10:20:00 AM  

  • Hi Satyan
    I am so happy and proud that you are doing what you have always wanted.
    I will surely miss u, but these blogs will help me to keep in touch with you.I think you must have the wandering lust from me!!It was my dream to travel the world, but i leave that to you now.I think my ship has sailed!
    Love kummi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/22/2006 10:21:00 AM  

  • I can't believe you are finally getting here. Two months apart has felt like an eternity. I know this experience it going to be wonderful and we are going to come to back to the states with whole new perspective. I couldn't imagine a more wonderful travel partner and I can't wait to start our adventures together.

    Nima

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/22/2006 09:49:00 PM  

  • Hi Satyan,
    Enjoy and have the time of your life. This is the time to do it and you're doing it right!
    I will have to live vicariously through you but what better place to choose than Southeast Asia... how kind of you to think of me, since I don't have that much experience in that part of the world :)
    Be safe,
    Tejal

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/23/2006 01:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 


hits