Blogging From All Over The World

Saturday, June 10, 2006

World Cup!

I've been counting down the days here in Colombo until the beginning of the World Cup. Friday was a tough day at work due to the anticipation, but finally the tournament kicked off at 9:30pm local time. Me and my roommates went to the Cheers Pub to catch the Germany-Costa Rica opening match.

Something strange about pubs in Sri Lanka is that they take reservations for all tables, including the little barstool tables in the bar. It was a bit of a debacle because we got to Cheers a good 2 hours before the match, and there were plenty of open tables, but the bar manager said they were all reserved. Before long there was an overwhelming amount of people in the bar and I think they had to abandon their reservation policy, which was good for us since we were already parked at a table.

If you didn't see the opening match you missed an entertaining one. The bar was generally rooting for the underdogs - though there were a good number of Germans at Cheers. I happened to have my Costa Rica jersey with me here in Sri Lanka, and I think I truly could have been the only person in the entire country sporting that replica last night.

We have plans for tonight's England game and the upcoming USA-Czech match on Monday. The next month is gonna be sweet...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 


hits